Gaylord boxes may not be recognized by their title, but they are essentially pallet-sized boxes used to transport bulk goods. This term derives from the trade name of a bulk corrugated box maker, Gaylord Container Company of St. Louis. Originally only referring to jumbo sized boxes, the label has broadened to include any pallet-sized box.
Types of Gaylord Boxes
These common shipping containers are perhaps best known by other names such as:
- Pallet containers
- Bulk or pallet boxes
- Bulk bins
- Skid or tote boxes
Each of these terms refers to the same Gaylord containers. However, variations within this category evolved and exist in the modern shipping industry. When looking to buy Gaylord boxes, be aware that these bulk bins come in:
- Single, double and triple wall construction
- Corrugated paper or plastic
- Recycled plastics
- FDA-approved materials for food contact
In addition, skid boxes often come with lids to further protect goods during shipment. A variety of construction styles meet your shipping and handling needs, such as:
- Perforated, partial or removable walls for ease of loading and unloading or display purposes.
- A separate base and a side wall sleeve to assist in loading and unloading.
- Additional liners and reinforcements to combat bulging.
Benefits of Gaylord Boxes
Manufactured from corrugated materials, this type of bulk bin works best for low volume shipments. The lifespan of corrugated Gaylord boxes proves quite short, many times for just one use (although plastic gaylord boxes can last a few years with non-abusive handling). The benefits of these shipping pallet containers include:
- Low cost
- Simple replacement
- Ease of loading and unloading
- Protection of irregular loads
- Consolidation of smaller shipments
- Keeping products safe
- Uniform size
Applications for Gaylord Boxes
The common appearance of these shipping containers in warehouses across the country speak of their usefulness. Gaylord boxes ship, transport and store bulk products including:
- Loose parts
- A mix of smaller shipping containers
- Granule, powder and liquid materials
- Materials intended for recycling and waste
- Hazardous waste or dangerous goods
Gaylord Boxes for Sale at Direct Supply
Direct Supply meets your bulk pallet container needs. Providing a variety of pallet containers to protect and transport your goods, we offer quality solutions to you. Whether you seek new or used Gaylord boxes for sale, contact us today. We are eager to talk with you and find the bulk bin which best addresses your product storage and shipping specifications. After all, customer service remains a priority at Direct Supply!